Which pupils qualify for free school meals?
We want to make sure that we are providing your child with the best education and support we can. Healthy school food has obvious health benefits and can help pupils establish healthy habits for life. Healthy school food can also help to improve pupils’ readiness to learn.
Families who receive certain benefits may be eligible for free school meals. Your child is eligible for free school meals if you’re in receipt of one of the following benefits:
- Universal Credit, provided they have an annual net earned income not exceeding £7,400 (£616.67 per month)
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guarantee element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit, provided they are not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190, as assessed by HMRC
- Working Tax Credit run-on – paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
We operate a biometric system at The Colne Community School so free school meals are anonymous at the till point.
What are the benefits of claiming free school meals?
School meals are a good way to ensure that your child eats well at lunchtime, and they can also save you time and money. Claiming free school meals also helps the school. We get extra funding, known as the ‘pupil premium’, for every eligible pupil who is registered. Your child may then become eligible for assistance with paying for items such as resources and trips.
More information on ‘pupil premium’ can be found on our website.
The more eligible pupils that are registered for free school meals, the more funding the school receives. Registering does not mean your child has to take up free school meals if they don’t want to. You should still register for free school meals even if:
- You would rather your child had a different meal, such as a packed lunch
- Your child is in sixth form and goes out for lunch
How to register for free school meals
Please click on the link below to apply for free school meals:
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact the admin team.
Tel: 01206 303511 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org